Do you want to help share the power of play?
Do you look good in a blue polo shirt?
Then see below for all the positions we are currently looking to fill.
Education Officer, Visitor Services Assistant & Cleaner– Casual
The Early Start Discovery Space is one of Australia’s only dedicated children’s museum, and the first-of-its-kind in the world based on a university campus. As a hands-on creative learning venue, the Discovery Space has been specifically designed for children from birth to 10 years and their families, carers, educators and teachers.
About the roles
We have three casual opportunities within the Discovery Space.
Casual Education Officer – 2 to 5 days per week, you will be required to work one day on the weekend.
In this role you will be interacting with children, families and the wider community in the power of play. You will be developing and delivering educational programs that are engaging and fun, coordinate school excursions and incursions, workshops, and outreach programs.
- Degree in Early Childhood, Primary Education or other relevant qualifications and experience.
- Experience in designing and delivering high quality educational workshops, public programs and special events for children from birth to 10 years from diverse backgrounds.
- High level written and verbal communication.
- Experience in risk management procedures and practices including development of risk assessments and safe work practices
- Capacity to provide leadership to staff and volunteers
- Event management and coordination skills.
Casual Visitor Service Assistant – 2 to 3 days per week, you will be required to work one day on the weekend.
In this role you will be actively engaging with members, families, children and the wider community encouraging visitation to the space. You will responsible for greeting visitors, processing admission, memberships and gift shop sales. Answering telephone and email enquiries and assisting with school and party bookings
- Demonstrated skills and experience in providing a high level of customer service in a retail or visitor service environment (Minimum 12 months retail/visitor services experience)
- High level interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience using CRMs and Microsoft office suite
- Visual merchandising experience in a retail or visitor service environment
- Proven experience in reaching sales targets
- Cash handling and Point of Sale (POS) skills
Cleaner – 3-21 hours available per week, will be required to work at least one weekend day
In this role you will be responsible for cleaning of the Discovery Space including high touch areas, cleaning hard surfaces and hand held props. Use of washing machine and dryer and have an understanding of risk and chemical handling.
- Demonstrated experience in cleaning large commercial or similar educational spaces
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Understanding of risk management and supporting mitigation strategies.
- Understanding of COVID-19 safe practises
- Cover letter outlining your interest, relevant experience, skills and availability
- Resume; and
- Responses to EACH of the selection criteria outlined and your ability to work weekend.
- A Mandatory Working with Children Check is required
The University of Wollongong strongly encourages Aboriginal people to apply for job vacancies within our faculties, schools and campuses.
Applications close Friday 26 February 2021.
For further details, please contact Martha Johnson ([email protected])