It's Summer School Holiday time! We’ll be running art sessions, storytime and a range of FREE play-based activities 7 days a week!Join us for a plethora of programs ranging from
It’s Summer School Holiday time!
We’ll be running art sessions, storytime and a range of FREE play-based activities 7 days a week!Join us for a plethora of programs ranging from Insect Investigations, Shipyard Games, Music and Dancing and so much more!! We’ll be playing with print making, painting and collage in Art, while engaging with puppets, colourful props and songs for storytime. From 3 January our new STEAM room experience will launch, with programs focused on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Mathematics featuring Bee-bots, block play & Make-Do engineering kits.
Remember bookings are still preferred for all visitors, even members.
Check out our special activities, all FREE after entry!
- Plant Protectors – come explore the Discovery Gardens using all your senses
- Insect Investigations – learn all about the stick insects that call Discovery Space home
- Bubbles – can you make a bubble, inside another bubble – come and try!
- Beach Yoga – learn the crab, boat and surfer yoga poses – all inspired by the beach!
- Discovery Space Bingo – put your observation skills to the test
- Shipyard Games – come aboard for crab relays and wave jumping
- Colour, Shape & Movement – Join us at Light, Sound, Action! Using our body to tippy toe walk with twinkle hands and lots more
- Percussion – Sound, Beats & Tempos – lets learn about music!
- Music and Movement around the world – we’ll look at music from all the continents of the world
- Scarf skills – lets move, swirl, twist and twirl
- Big Blue Blocks Fun Zone – Build ’em up, knock ’em down, design and create! Can you create a waterslide or a theme park? Use our Big Blue Blocks to create anything you can imagine! Located in the Puzzle room.
- The POD ‘Summer edition’- Join us for beach-themed and water safety Play School: Stop, Look, Listen films. Lots of imaginative play prompts, opportunties to interact with an imaginative aquarium, beach objects, plants and animals, rock pools and umbrellas.
SPECIAL WORKSHOPS & SHOWS
- Science Space Show – Bubbleology
Tuesday 25 January, 10:30am
Join the Science Space team for their Bubbleology show as they explore what bubbles are made of and learn why bubbles are so stretchy and lazy! Fun for the whole family, this show features fire bubbles, liquid nitrogen bubbles and more!
FREE, no booking required. Limited spots available.
From 3 January we’ll be launching our NEW STEAM programs (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts & Mathematics) that will run all holidays. All FREE after entry! Featuring robotic Bee-bots, block play & Make-Do engineering kits.
Times: 9:30am – 11:30am and 1:00pm – 3:00pm (daily)
Week 1: 3 – 9 Jan
Local Landmarks – use our Make-Do cardboard kits to replicate a range of landmarks from across the Discovery Space and the Illawarra.
Week 2: 10 – 16 Jan
Animal Crossing – design and build a safe way for the famous UOW ducks to cross the road
Week 3: 17 – 23 Jan
Mazes – build a maze and code your Bee-bot robot to navigate its way through all the twists and turns
Week 4: 24 – 30 Jan
Build a house – design and build a house for the three little pigs to withstand the huffs and puffs of the big, bad wolf!
We’ll be reading some classic stories from Australian authors such as Magic Beach, Who Sank the Boat? Busy Beaks and more. Plus we and have an amazing art schedule including mosaics, wet chalk and sea scratch printing. All all free after entry.
SEE THE DAILY SCHEDULE HERE
*The safety and wellbeing of all our visitors, staff and community is paramount, so we wanted to inform you that at times, our daily activities and workshops may be limited or reduced in order to comply with the current Public Health Order and the UOW COVID Safe Transition plan.
December 20 (Monday) 9.00am - January 30 (Sunday) 3.30pm
Early Start Discovery Space
Activities and workshops free after entry.